You Are Now Allowed To Give In To Your Mondays

Posted: January 25th, 2010

Photo by Queguenae (Flickr)

Photo by Queguenae (Flickr)

I’m fairly amused to live in Spain where the average workday is very atypical for that of the average freelancer or employee in English speaking countries. In fact, here is what would occur on a normal working day:

9:00 AM – Start work by checking email and chatting with the workmates.

9:30 AM – Break for a cup of coffee or beer (yes, this early) with the workmates down at the local bar.

10:30 AM – Return, begin real work.

1:00 PM – Break for lunch and a siesta (and maybe another beer).

4:00 PM – Return to work, chat with workmates (going back to bar optional).

4:30 PM – Continue with real work again.

6:49 PM – Hmmm, about 7 PM, time to go home.

Now, it’s probably a given that sticking to this kind of schedule would not get me too far as a freelance programmer. You might even go as far as to equate this as “treading water.”

Except on Mondays when it absolutely rules.

To explain, I always have it difficult on Mondays. You know, having to deal with the email requests that come over the weekend, thinking of something to write for the blog post, periods of sluggishness followed by moments of caffeine highs. Stuff just doesn’t get done like, say, on a Tuesday. I’m not even talking hangovers here either.

So I decided, screw it, I’m going all Spanish on Mondays from now on.

Sleep in an extra hour.

No more Monday deadlines.

Chat with my friends down the street over a beer (at 9:30 sharp).

Not bang my head trying to write THE blog post. Halfway crappy will suffice.

Nice long siesta. Now we’re talking.

Don’t get me wrong, I probably hover around 50 hours a week working my freelance projects, blogging and doing other personal projects. I’m not quite that lazy. (I know, I know, only 50 you say with a laugh)

But you know what? Tuesday thankfully come a lot easier now. All 18 hours of work that follows it.

I’m just hoping the day never comes where we have the morning beer over Twitter.

More on the author, Johnny Spence
Johnny is the founder of The Freelance Rant and a freelance web programmer with 8 years in the business. Have a visit at his company Oscarrr!web or see what he's up to on Twitter.

5 Comments. Join In!

• Tweets that mention You Are Now Allowed To Give In To Your Mondays - The Freelance Rant -- Topsy.com

January 26th, 2010 at 9:55 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Johnny Spence, Autumn St John. Autumn St John said: I always knew 9.30am wasn't too early for beer RT @freelancerant New post! You Are Now Allowed To Give In To Your Mondays https://is.gd/71Hjh […]

• Jon Buscall

January 27th, 2010 at 7:08 am

I knew there was something wrong with living in Sweden!

Wow, that’s amazing. The typical workday here starts at 630-7. Lunch is at 11, and usually very healthy with things like salad, and then you work super hard until early evening when you have to go to the gym like everyone else in Sweden.

The only vices you’re allowed are snus (ground tobacco you kind of stuff under your lip in a mini tea bag) and lots of black coffee.

Oh, and it’s minus 12 out there this morning.

• Johnny

January 27th, 2010 at 10:23 am

Wow… Long workday there! Quite a bit different out there with the work atitude as I’ve also heard from my Swedish friends here.

I’m also very very thankful for the same Swedish friends introducing me to the snus. I have an import operation going where whenever one goes back home and returns, they get me an entire roll on their way back. Nice stuff indeed!

• Jonathan Figaro

January 29th, 2010 at 8:17 pm

For Mondays or any other day of the week, me most cathartic things we as striving entrepreneurs can do is the hardest thing first. Its sets the pace for the rest of the day, since very task after would be easy.

• Johnny

January 29th, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I can imagine that would work for many people. Getting the hard and crappy stuff out of the way sets the pace for the week also.

Unfortunately my peak work level usually lies on a Tuesday so usually that stuff gets pushed until then.